Did You Know?
Morse has had a presence at CIC-Cambridge from its earliest days - 2004 to be exact.
Patent Portfolio Development & Management
Morse patent professionals are experienced in all aspects of the development and management of patent portfolios in the U.S. and abroad, including:
- Working with scientists and management to create procedures for identification, documentation and assessment of new ideas;
- Conducting prior art searches and providing patentability advice to aid in developing patent filing strategies;
- Drafting patent applications which extract maximum value from core inventions;
- Prosecuting patent applications before the U.S. Patent Office using efficient and creative strategies to obtain claims which support our clients’ business objectives;
- Collaborating with local counsel in countries worldwide to obtain patent protection in foreign jurisdictions;
- Counseling clients and affiliated personnel with regard to patent best practices and evolving law; and
- Reviewing activities and products of others to identify infringement of client rights.
Assessment of Patent Rights of Others
Clients are often faced with the question of what impact the patent rights of others may have on the client’s own activities or the activities of potential partners. We help clients answer these questions by:
- Conducting freedom-to-operate searches to identify third party patents and patent applications of relevance in the U.S. and abroad;
- Analyzing patent claims to determine their proper scope as an aid to design-around efforts;
- Reviewing proposed activities in view of third party patents to minimize risk of infringement, particularly during product development stage;
- Assessing identified patents for validity and enforceability; and
- Collaborating with local counsel in foreign countries to oppose key competitor patents.
Clients often need to obtain formal or informal opinions on issues of patentability, non-infringement, validity and/or enforceability. We work with our clients to determine the type and formality of opinion appropriate for the circumstances, and we provide well-supported documents on which our clients can confidently rely in business transactions and contested proceedings.
Patent Due Diligence
A determination of the strength and value of patent assets is a frequent and important aspect of business transactions. We assist our clients in evaluating patent issues in connection with potential venture capital and private equity financings, public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, licensing transactions, and potential litigation.
- Direct Dial
- Morse Welcomes Jill Edgar as Patent Agent
June 13, 2019
- Patents and Pumpkins
Hidden Soft Spots Can Ruin Them Both
September 18, 2018
- As the Trade Show Season Ramps Up, Don’t Forget to Harvest Your Patentable Inventions Before Heading to the Show
September 10, 2018
- Improved Forecast for IP Harvest
Gathering Seeds from USPTO Memo on Vanda
September 4, 2018
- Jeffry Severson and Elizabeth Bitar Join Morse
June 21, 2018
- Technology for the Greater Good from The Additive Advantage
While The Additive Advantage team is developing novel technologies for industries such as pharmaceuticals, packaging, and humanitarian efforts, Morse manages the company's patent, licensing, and other legal needs.
- Doing Well by Doing Good with Visible Good
Understanding intellectual property protection is critical to adding value. Visible Good came to Morse initially to develop a comprehensive strategy for analyzing and protecting its IP.