Now Of Counsel, and primarily serving in an advisory capacity to the Firm, Jeff is an AV-rated attorney with more than 40 years of diversified business law experience. His practice has focused on general corporate and securities matters, corporate governance, finance, M&A and international business transactions, securities laws compliance for investment advisers, formation of private investment funds, and IP transfer and licensing.
Representing businesses in all stages of their lifecycle, from start-up to maturity, Jeff has provided counseling in matters such as choice of business entity, equity and debt financing, mergers and acquisitions, and executive compensation. He has extensive experience in biotech collaborative research, development and licensing transactions, as well as university/hospital technology transfers. He represents investment advisers, including several international firms, regarding U.S. federal and state regulatory matters, and he advises clients on the formation, operation and regulation of private investment funds. Jeff has regularly represented disinterested members of boards regarding their fiduciary obligations in connection with business transactions and other matters.
At the start of his legal career, Jeff was a staff attorney with the Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C. Prior to joining Morse, he was a partner for more than 20 years with Gadsby Hannah LLP (now McCarter English), Boston.
• Represented independent directors or trustees of public companies in connection with their consideration and negotiation of a number of matters, including a major lease with a REIT, sale of the company, mergers of related closed-end mutual funds, and a shareholder derivative claim.
• Organized four private investment funds — for a foreign-based, SEC- registered IA client — offered primarily to U.S. institutional investors.
• Lead an Morse team that served as special M&A counsel to Conrad Fafard, Inc. in its acquisition by Syngeta SA in a transaction valued at $133.5 million.
• Negotiated sponsored research agreements and related licenses for a life sciences client with a number of prominent teaching hospitals and universities around the country.
Outside the office
Jeff is an avid if average golfer, a voracious reader, and enjoys spending time with his extended family.
News & Events
- Client Alert
The Dodd-Frank Act Impact on Advisers to Private Funds
July 7, 2010
- Biotech Patent Licensing:
Key Considerations in Deal Negotiations
January 15, 2003
- Special Contractual and
Intellectual Property Rights Considerations
Sponsored Research Agreements, University and Government Licensing, and Clinical Trial Agreements
January 13, 2003