Michael’s practice is focused primarily in the areas of emerging and growth technology companies, venture capital, M&A transactions, and corporate governance.
As a member of the Corporate Department, Michael advises technology and other emerging companies through each stage of growth, counseling founders, management teams and boards on pre-incorporation and formation matters, corporate governance, employment matters and strategic commercial transactions, equity and debt fundraising activities, and mergers and acquisitions. He also serves as lead counsel to venture capital investors in connection with venture and growth equity investments in operating companies as well as the management of a fund’s portfolio companies.
Michael represented his tech and VC clients on 48 financings in 2018 aggregating over $775M in deal proceeds and on 66 financings in 2019 aggregating over $1B in deal proceeds.
Michael’s pro bono practice concentrates on representing artists and other organizations aimed at fostering creativity. He is an active member of the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of MA, an organization which provides legal services to artists in Massachusetts and also contributes pro bono legal services to the Art Resource Collaborative for Kids, a non-profit that empowers children with arts education to foster culture and community.
Michael currently serves as co-chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Committee on Venture Capital and Emerging Companies.
Prior to joining Morse, Michael was a member of the Technology Companies group at Goodwin Procter LLP.
Boston Bar Association’s Business Transactions Section, Former Co-Chair, Committee on Venture Capital & Emerging Companies
Panelist, Next Generation of Legal Services, 2019 Shoobx Drive Startup Fundraising Summit
Panelist, What’s New in Early Stage Financing?, Boston Bar Association Venture Capital and Private Equity Conference
Speaker, MA Non-Compete Law Changes and Their Impacts on Early and Venture Stage Company Hiring Practices, Boston Bar Association
Panelist, Keeping Your Startup Operations Running Smoothly, 2018 Shoobx Drive Startup Conference
Panelist, How to Start a Startup, Shoobx Startup Series
Mike shares legal insights as well as portraits of the players that make up the tech ecosystem over on his blog, Through the Lens of a Tech Lawyer.
Outside the office
Some of Michael’s favorite things include his wife, Lindsay, and sons, Max and Zack, spending time in nature at the beach or in the mountains, photography and abstract painting.
News & Events
2017 – 2020 M&A Deals
Mergers & Acquisitions:
A Transaction Recap
February 11, 2021
2020 VC Deals
A Snapshot of Venture
January 28, 2021
2019 M&A Deals
Mergers & Acquisitions:
A Transaction Recap
February 24, 2020
2019 VC Deals
A snapshot of venture
February 19, 2020
2017 M&A Deals
A Sampling of the Year's M&A Transactions
February 26, 2018
2019 VC and M&A Forum
May 2, 2019
Show Me the Money: Bio Bucks, Royalties and Other Payment Structures in Strategic Alliances
April 3, 2019
Corporate Venture Capital: Unique Opportunities and Special Considerations for Startup Companies
May 3, 2018
2018 VC and M&A Forum
March 29, 2018
Issuance of Founders’ Equity: What’s the Right Slice of Pie?
December 7, 2017
- Represented Privy, a SAAS marketing company, in its $3 million Series Seed equity financing, led by Accomplice Ventures.
- Represented Hyperplane Venture Capital in its lead investments in Dover Microsystems, Tranquil Data, Roadbotics, Volta Networks, Soft Robotics, Elucidata and Pickle Robotics.
- Represented 1upHealth, Inc., a platform for patients, providers, and app developers to aggregate and share medical data and wearable device metrics, in its $3m seed financing, led by Meridian Street Capital, Social Leverage and Eniac Ventures.
- Represented Highland Capital Partners in its lead investments in Rent the Runway, Turbonomic, Leap Motion, Rethink Robotics and Remote Year.
- Represented Accomplice in its lead investment in Teachable’s $4 million Series A equity financing.
- Represented Invaluable, a live auction / e-commerce platform provider, in its $33.75 million growth equity financing, led by Insight Venture Partners.
- Represented Disruptor Beam, a video gaming company, in its $5 million Series A equity financing, led by GrandBanks Capital, Common Angels and Midverse Studio.
- Represented Advanced Practice Strategies, a medical education software company, in its $14 million growth equity financing, led by River Cities Capital.
- Represented Spark Capital in its lead investments in Upworthy’s $12 million Series A equity financing and eToro Group’s $30 million Series D equity financing.
- Represented Insight Ventures as a selling shareholder in Wix.com Ltd’s initial public offering.
- Represented Goldman Sachs as lead underwriter in ecommerce software platform provider Demandware’s initial public offering of common stock on the New York Stock Exchange and subsequent follow-on offering.
- Represented Fleetmatics Group PLC, a leading global provider of commercial fleet management solutions, in its initial public offering of common stock on the New York Stock Exchange and three subsequent follow-on offerings.
- Represented Broadhop, a provider of next-generation policy control and service management technology for carrier networks, in its sale to Cisco.
- Represented SiGe, a semiconductor company which designs and offers radio frequency integrated circuits and multi-chip modules, in its sale to Skyworks Solutions.