An engineer, a Registered Patent Attorney, an author, a former in-house patent counsel, and a former adjunct professor, Sean is a member of the Firm’s Intellectual Property practice, the leader of its high-tech patent practice, and the head of its Trademark practice.
Sean is well known as being a highly responsive, collaborative attorney, having over 24 years of experience in intellectual property (IP). His work encompasses many areas of IP protection, including provisional, non-provisional/utility patent and design patent preparation and prosecution, trademark registration, IP due diligence, IP audits, IP governance, and the provision of patentability, non-infringement and freedom-to-operate opinions, as well as identification of infringing competitor products. Sean works closely with a wide range of clients to fulfill their intellectual property needs, including IP portfolio development, strategy, and implementation for startup companies with foundational patent and trademark filings, for emerging growth companies with market share they need to protect from competitors, and for international conglomerates with massive US and international patent and trademark portfolios.
Sean works to achieve client goals in protecting patentable inventions in a broad collection of technologies, including medical devices, consumer products, HVAC, energy, clean tech, footwear, apparel, sporting goods, mechanical, electrical, software, computer hardware, telecommunications, and combination technologies including Internet of Things (IoT) technologies, aerospace, robotics, and mechatronics, securing both utility patent protection, and design patent protection for ornamental product designs.
In Sean’s book, The Best Way to Secure Your Intellectual Property, he reveals how to protect your IP rights, and elevate your level of knowledge in all aspects of IP, as well as how best to work with an IP professional to secure your IP in a manner that is both high quality and cost effective.
If you would like to inquire about patents or trademarks, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more about Patent & Trademark Attorney Sean Detweiler on LinkedIn here.
Panelist, Intellectual Property: The Ins and Outs, TechSandBox
Office Hours, Topic: Patent, TechSandBox
Speaker, Accelerate Program Bootcamp, Wentworth Institute of Technology
Speaker, Legal Basics for Game Companies, Morse Seminar
Speaker, Morse Patent Law Discussion Series, Morse Seminar
Speaker, Conducting Business in the U.S., swissnex Boston – Consulate of Switzerland
Speaker, Intellectual Property Overview, Massachusetts Society of Plastic Surgeons
Federal Registration of Trademarks to Protect Intellectual Property: Advantages over common law trademark rights include instant nationwide protection, effective notice to competitors, and ease of assigning, licensing, and defending
As the Trade Show Season Ramps Up, Don’t Forget to Harvest Your Patentable Inventions Before Heading to the Show
Outside the office
Founding Member – Town Sustainable Energy Planning Committee
Founding Member – Sustainable Energy Committee
Master – Arthur J. Gajarsa Inn of Court (past)
Outside of the office, Sean enjoys spending time with family, coaching soccer, and hanging out with friends.
News & Events
COVID-19 Resource Collection
July 21, 2022
Intellectual Property Considerations of NFTs
May 16, 2022
A Tom Brady Trademark Tome
Brady Brand Clothing Illuminates Common Obstacles in the Trademark Registration Process
March 29, 2022
Gruyère and Tequila® – Are they Generic, Registerable Trademarks, and/or Just Good Together?
January 25, 2022
Trademark Searching and Clearance: To Search, or Not to Search?
A Discussion of Common Issues Stemming from Trademark Searching and Clearance
October 25, 2021
Show Me the Money: Bio Bucks, Royalties and Other Payment Structures in Strategic Alliances
April 3, 2019
Money and Molecules: Early-Stage Life Science Financing
March 30, 2017
Funding Models in Biotech – Life Sciences Series – Panel 3
September 22, 2016
Laying the Foundation for Growth: Entity & Equity – Life Sciences Series – Panel 2
June 22, 2016
Building Your Product & Patent Strategy from the Ground Floor – Life Sciences Series – Panel 1
May 4, 2016
- Managed, built and grew an international patent portfolio for a cutting edge platform technology of a US company leading up to its acquisition for almost $700 million.
- Assisted a client in navigating the intellectual property due diligence investigation for a successful $15 million venture financing.
- Successfully implemented a long-term patent strategy for a startup company to protect vital intellectual property with limited resources by protecting key aspects of their technology with a single provisional application that kept competitors at bay through the company’s growth to a multi-million dollar corporation with a US and International patent portfolio.
- Drafted and successfully prosecuted numerous patent applications in crowded technology spaces to obtain valuable patent protection.
- Worked closely with engineering teams to analyze prior art patents and design new and innovative products while avoiding infringement of competitor patents.
- Authored/drafted U.S. Patent No. 8,945,235, a 2017 BPLA Invented Here! Honoree
- University of New Hampshire – Franklin Pierce School of Law, J.D.
- Bucknell University, B.S.
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Master – American Inns of Court
- Engineer In Training – NCEES
- AI and Robotics
- Consumer Goods & Services
- Internet of Things
- Media & Entertainment
- Medical Devices