A Registered Patent Attorney, Engineer, Author, and a former In-house Patent Counsel and Adjunct Law Professor, Sean is a member of the Firm’s Intellectual Property practice, leader of the low-tech/high-tech Patent practice, and the Head of its Trademark practice.
- Known as being a highly responsive, trusted advisor – a real team player
- Over 27 years of experience practicing intellectual property (IP) law, including:
- Patents (Responsible for obtaining 500-plus patents protecting inventions & designs)
- Trademarks (Responsible for 1,000-plus trademark registrations and enforcements)
- Product Design (design-around counseling incorporating patent landscape searches)
- Audits/Assessments of IP (Is it good quality? Is it well-protected? Etc.)
- Licensing of valuable IP (Agreements with companies to pay royalties for patents)
- Governance of IP (Managing invention harvesting, protection, enforcement)
- Opinions (Will I infringe someone’s patent? Do they infringe my patent? Etc.)
- Due-Diligence reviews (e.g., for M&A, Investment, etc.)
- IP Strategy (Advise on how best to implement all of the above taking into consideration the needs of the business)
- Flexible in approach, Sean collaborates with all forms of clients:
- Individual inventor
- Emerging growth companies
- Mid-size and larger US and international companies with substantial IP patent and trademark portfolios
- Diverse technology experience in areas including:
- Medical devices
- Consumer products
- Industrial equipment
- Heating, Ventilating, and Air-Conditioning (HVAC)
- Energy, cleantech, biomass, etc.
- Apparel, Footwear, Sporting Goods, etc.
- Mechanical, Electrical, Mechatronics, and combination technologies
- Internet-of-Things (IoT)
- Software, Artificial Intelligence (AI), NFTs, peer-to-peer, blockchain, etc.
- Aerospace, Electric Vertical Takeoff & Landing Vehicles (eVTOL), Electric boats, etc.
- Autonomous vehicles, drones, etc.
- Educational products
In Sean’s book, The Best Way to Secure Your Intellectual Property, he reveals how to protect your IP rights, and elevate your level of knowledge in all aspects of IP, as well as how best to work with an IP professional to secure your IP in a manner that is both high quality and cost-effective.
If you would like to inquire about patents or trademarks, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a FREE initial consult.
Learn more about Patent & Trademark Attorney Sean Detweiler on LinkedIn® here.
Panelist, Intellectual Property: The Ins and Outs, TechSandBox
Office Hours, Topic: Patent, TechSandBox
Speaker, Accelerate Program Bootcamp, Wentworth Institute of Technology
Speaker, Legal Basics for Game Companies, Morse Seminar
Speaker, Morse Patent Law Discussion Series, Morse Seminar
Speaker, Conducting Business in the U.S., swissnex Boston – Consulate of Switzerland
Speaker, Intellectual Property Overview, Massachusetts Society of Plastic Surgeons
Federal Registration of Trademarks to Protect Intellectual Property: Advantages over common law trademark rights include instant nationwide protection, effective notice to competitors, and ease of assigning, licensing, and defending
As the Trade Show Season Ramps Up, Don’t Forget to Harvest Your Patentable Inventions Before Heading to the Show
Outside the office
Founding Member – Town Sustainable Energy Planning Committee
Founding Member – Sustainable Energy Committee
Master – Arthur J. Gajarsa Inn of Court (past)
Board Member – Education Charitable Fund (past)
Outside of the office, Sean enjoys spending time with family, brewing beer, hanging out with friends, reading to learn new things, sampling fine cheeses and red wines, skiing, photography, drawing, reflecting on over 14 years as a youth soccer coach, running, finding any opportunity to get on a boat, and above-all cheering on his amazing kids and wife in any way he can.
News & Events
Best Practices for Creating Impressive Trademarks with Generative AI
September 8, 2023
Is Fireball Confusable with Fireball?
A Trademark Perspective on a Recent Consumer Fraud Case
February 1, 2023
Top Ten Useful Trademark Tips
October 11, 2022
COVID-19 Resource Collection
July 21, 2022
Intellectual Property Considerations of NFTs
May 16, 2022
Show Me the Money: Bio Bucks, Royalties and Other Payment Structures in Strategic Alliances
April 3, 2019
Money and Molecules: Early-Stage Life Science Financing
March 30, 2017
Funding Models in Biotech – Life Sciences Series – Panel 3
September 22, 2016
Laying the Foundation for Growth: Entity & Equity – Life Sciences Series – Panel 2
June 22, 2016
Building Your Product & Patent Strategy from the Ground Floor – Life Sciences Series – Panel 1
May 4, 2016
- Helped countless individual inventors to patent novel inventions as a foundational springboard to building companies around their IP.
- Managed, built, and grew an international patent portfolio for a cutting-edge platform technology of a US company leading up to its acquisition for almost $700 million.
- Assisted numerous clients in navigating the intellectual property due diligence investigations for successful multi-million dollar mergers, acquisitions, and financings.
- Successfully implemented long-term patent strategies for startups to protect vital intellectual property with limited resources by protecting key aspects of their technology with minimal patent application filings that keep competitors at bay while companies grow.
- Drafted and successfully prosecuted hundreds of patent applications in crowded technology spaces to obtain valuable patent protection.
- Worked closely with numerous engineering teams to analyze prior art patents and design new and innovative products while avoiding infringement of competitor patents.
- Authored/drafted U.S. Patent No. 8,945,235, a 2017 BPLA Invented Here! Honoree
- Responsible for acquiring and managing over 1,000 U.S. and International Trademarks
- Manage U.S. and International Patent & Trademark Portfolios
- Many instances of clients and individuals from former clients returning and becoming repeat clients in new ventures.
- University of New Hampshire – Franklin Pierce School of Law, J.D.
- Bucknell University, B.S.
- Massachusetts Bar
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Master – American Inns of Court
- Engineer In Training – NCEES
- AI and Robotics
- Consumer Goods & Services
- Internet of Things
- Media & Entertainment
- Medical Devices