Joe serves as outside general counsel to a wide range of privately-held emerging and middle-market companies. He guides his clients through all phases of the business life cycle, from corporate formation to liquidity events. Clients rely on Joe as a trusted advisor both with respect to legal and non-legal matters.
While Joe’s practice encompasses a variety of legal issues including incorporations, debt and equity financings, and corporate governance, he has particular expertise in the area of M&A transactions, counseling clients on both the buy-side and the sell-side. Utilizing his prior experience as a commercial business litigator, Joe also advises his clients on preventative measures to help avoid the high cost of protracted litigation.
Joe services clients in a wide variety of sectors including technology, software, professional services, medical devices, analytical instruments and life sciences.
For many years, Joe has been actively involved in firm management. He has served as the Chair of the Firm’s Corporate Practice Group and Chair of its M&A Practice Group. Additionally, Joe served on the Firm’s Advisory and Management Committees and chaired the Marketing Committee, lending his insight and experience to the Firm’s marketing, branding and business development efforts.
Joe has been recognized for his work as a corporate attorney by being named a Super Lawyer every year since 2011.
Guest Lecturer, Legal Primer for Entrepreneurs, Emerson College, 2022
Moderator, T&C’s Made Simple, 2018 VC and M&A Forum
Guest Lecturer, Venture Capital Term Sheets, Boston College’s Carroll School of Management
Delaware Chancery Court Awards Expectation Damages
Delaware Supreme Court Reverses Injunction Order
Revised HSR Thresholds 2015
SEC Issues No Action Letter Exempting M&A Brokers from Broker-Dealer Registration
A Solution for Smaller Companies?, Boston Business Journal
Outside the office
Joe is an avid Boston sports fan and outside the office enjoys spending time with family, golfing and exercising.
News & Events
Morse Serves as Counsel to Steel Root in Merger with C3 Integrated Solutions
November 21, 2022
2021 VC Deals
A Snapshot of Venture Capital Transactions
February 22, 2022
2021 M&A Deals
Mergers & Acquisitions: A Transaction Recap
February 22, 2022
2017 – 2020 M&A Deals
Mergers & Acquisitions:
A Transaction Recap
February 11, 2021
2020 VC Deals
A Snapshot of Venture
January 28, 2021
2019 VC and M&A Forum
May 2, 2019
Corporate Venture Capital: Unique Opportunities and Special Considerations for Startup Companies
May 3, 2018
2018 VC and M&A Forum
March 29, 2018
Issuance of Founders’ Equity: What’s the Right Slice of Pie?
December 7, 2017
Behind the Curtain: An inside look into the operations of VC firms
November 7, 2017
- Represented ClearEdge Partners, Inc., a firm specializing in information technology spend management and software asset management in connection with its sale to a publicly-traded multinational professional services company.
- Represented Rentschler Biopharma SE, a leading contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) for biopharmaceuticals, in connection with the acquisition of a U.S. manufacturing site from an affiliate of Shire plc.
- Represented WinterWyman, a leading executive search firm, in connection with its sale to The Planet Group, a portfolio company of MidOcean Partners.
- Represented RapidPulse, Inc., a medical device company developing minimally invasive vascular products for treating ischemic stroke, in connection with a $15 million Series A financing.
- Represented ADK Group, LLC, a digital product design and development company, in connection with its sale to projekt202, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Amdocs (NASDAQ: DOX).
- Represented 89 Degrees, Inc., a provider of marketing agency services and technology solutions, in connection with its sale to Iris Americas, Inc.
- Represented Mosse & Mosse Associates LLC, an employee benefits and retirement plan consulting firm, in connection with its sale to Risk Strategies Company.
- Represented Chamow & Associates, a leading biopharmaceutical consulting company, in connection with its sale to Alira Health, a leading international healthcare and life sciences advisory firm.
- Represented Vivonics, Inc. in its sale of certain Artificial Lung technology to Lung Biotechnology PBC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of United Therapeutics Corporation.
- Represented AbPro Corporation, a biotechnology company engaged in the delivery of antibodies for research purposes, in multiple rounds of equity financing.
- Represented a manufacturer and supplier of active alignment technologies in connection with financing activities and its sale to a strategic partner.
- Represented Spectro Scientific, Inc., a leading provider of analytical instruments and software for oil and fuel analysis, in connection with acquisitions of Wilks Enterprise, Inc., and On-Site Analysis, Inc.
- Represented SciAps, Inc., an instrumentation company specializing in portable analytical instruments, in connection with the acquisition of DeltaNu and in connection with multiple rounds of debt and equity financings.
- Represented B.E. Peterson, Inc., a contract manufacturing and custom metal fabricator, in connection with a management-led buyout involving a debt and equity recapitalization.
- Represented GeoVantage, Inc., an aerial imaging company for commercial applications, in connection with a Series A Financing round.
- Represented Bridgeline Digital, Inc. (NASDAQ: BLIN), a leading developer of web application management software and web applications, in connection with its initial public offering and the acquisition of nine web application development companies throughout the United States and multiple private placement (PIPE) transactions.
- Represented Lawrence Pumps, Inc., a privately-owned manufacturer of highly engineered critical service centrifugal pumps used in the oil and gas industries, in its sale to Flowserve (NYSE: FLS)
- Represented Prospectiv Direct, Inc., a pioneer in online performance marketing and operator of a leading daily deal website in the US to Affinion Group, Inc., a global leader in customer engagement and loyalty solutions.
- Represented FitLinxx, Inc., a leading provider of wellness applications, wireless activity monitors and health tracking devices in connection with a Series C financing round.
- Represented Fluidmesh Networks, Inc., a provider of wireless networking devices in the security industry, in connection with a sale of a controlling interest in the company to two Chicago-based private equity firms, Generation 3 Capital and Waveland Investments.
- Represented Retica Systems, Inc., a developer of identity solutions and services, in its sale to L-1 Identity Solutions, Inc. (NYSE:ID).
- Represented Exit41, Inc., a provider of software that allows restaurant chains to manage take-out orders in off-site call centers, in connection with a $6 million recapitalization financing round led by GrandBanks Capital, Contour Venture Partners and Dace Ventures.
- Represented Polychromix, Inc., a developer and manufacturer of analytical spectroscopy solutions, in connection with its sale to Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc. (NYSE: TMO).
- Represented Elsevier Inc., a world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical information products and services in the stock purchase of MEDai Inc., a predictive analytics company and the purchase of assets from William Andrew Inc., a publishing company.
- Represented developer of photovoltaic modules for use in the solar power industry in connection with the sale of approximately $5 million in preferred stock to venture capital investors.
- Serve as outside general counsel to Kaspersky Lab, Inc., a leading antivirus software and internet security solutions for homes and businesses.
- Represented Innov-X Systems, Inc., a leading provider of portable x-ray fluorescence technology for elemental analysis, in the sale of $28,750,000 in a preferred stock financing led by Summit Partners, and in an asset purchase from an Australian company.
- Represented two privately-held companies in connection with tender offers involving the sale of over $60 million in stock from existing stockholders.
- Represented TechTarget, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTGT), a content provider to IT professionals, in connection with approximately $100 million in venture capital financings, and in the acquisition of Bitpipe, Inc.
- Represented Tasker Capital Corp. (NASDAQ: TKER) in connection with several private investments in public entity (PIPE) transactions, general securities compliance and an asset acquisition for cash and stock.
- Represented Openera Technologies, Inc., a provider of IMS mobile client applications for both fixed and mobile operators, in the sale of all of its stock to NMS Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: NMSS).
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
- Bowdoin College, A.B., magna cum laude
- Massachusetts Bar
- Commercial Debt Financing
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Startups & Emerging Companies
- Venture Capital
- Consumer Goods & Services
- Internet of Things
- Life Sciences
- Medical Devices